The Glorious Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich
These instructions shall yield a delicious grilled cheese sandwich. Substitute ingredients to taste or to supply limitations.
- Various cheeses, preferably in slices when possible. Recommendation: muenster, cheddar, feta, goat, colby-jack, monterrey-jack, mozzarella
- Two slices of bread
- Onions (sliced or chopped)
- Two (or three) slices of bacon
- Mushrooms (sliced or chopped)
- One egg
- Get out a decent pan and your splatterguard (or not if you're wild) and throw the bacon in the pan on a medium heat. Cook that bacon until it's suitably chewy and not overly crispy
- Remove the bacon from the pan after it is cooked, place on a plate. Your pan should now contain a significant amount of bacon grease. If not, add butter.
- Put the onions and mushrooms into the pan, sautee them in that delicious bacon grease until they're cooked to your preference of softness
- Remove the onions and mushrooms, set aside with the bacon
- Fry the egg to your preference in this same pan (sunnyside up, overeasy, however, but not scrambled since you're putting it on the sandwich)
- For the bread, add a thin layer of mayo to the interior sides of each slice. Add a slice of cheese to each slice of bread, crumble some of that goat cheese or feta into there too. If you have shredded cheese, sprinkle that in there too.
- Add the egg, bacon, mushrooms, and onions to the interior of the sandwich
- Slap that sandwich together, apply a thin layer of butter to the exterior breadslice, then very carefully put that side of the sandwich into the pan on a medium-low heat. This is a thick sandwich, so let it cook longer at a lower heat to melt all that cheese in there
- After a few minutes, check to see if the bread has become that golden brown that is oh-so-delicious. If not, wait a minute or two longer. If it is, ensure that there is butter on the current topside of that sandwich, then flip that sandwich carefully so that it doesn't spill its contents.
- When that side is grilled to perfection, remove it from the pan. Wait a moment, it may be hot. Consume with your choice of soup.
If you're like me, you might want to go crazier. You can cook a burger and add that, or you can add tuna and make it a heavenly tuna melt. Experiment until your heart stops.
The Supreme Ravioli Lasagna Casserole
This may be similar to the sandwich in that you're just going to go nuts with ingredients until you have a flavorous treasure.
- Ravioli of preference. I recommend the fancy bagged stuff you can get in the refrigerated aisle, rather than anything canned. Frozen is fine too.
- Four slices of bacon (or more)
- Cheddar, muenster, shredded or sliced cheeses of preference. I am not here to judge your cheese preferences, as long as it's delicious.
- Ricotta and feta, if you have them. Not vital, but make a cheesier lasagna-ier experience
- Two portobello mushrooms
- Onions (sliced or chopped)
- Lasagna noodles
- Alfredo sauce (Or red sauce if you must)
- First, acquire a suitable baking dish that is at least several inches deep. This is a deep dish.
- Preheat oven to like 375 farenheit or so
- Throw your bacon in a pan on medium heat
- While the bacon is cooking, slice your portobello mushrooms so that they're in long thin slices. You can vary thickness if you prefer. Chop or slice your onions too.
- When the bacon is cooked, remove it from the pan and add your mushrooms and onions to the pan to sautee them in that bacon grease
- Now, layer in the ravioli of your choice into the bottom of your baking dish. Add alfredo sauce (or red sauce I guess) so that there is some on each of the ravioli, but they're not quite drowning in it
- When the mushrooms and onions are cooked, remove them and add them to the baking dish in a layer on top of the ravioli. Sprinkle some shredded cheese onto this layer
- Add bacon, either in strips or chopped in bits
- Add a layer of the lasagna noodles. You can add them dry, they will be cooked from the surrounding moisture.
- Add a layer of cheese on top of the lasagna noodles, including ricotta if you have it, and feta if you have it.
- Add some bacon. Save some for the end top layer.
- If you have any more ravioli, add some to this layer, as well as any left over mushrooms and onions.
- Add a bit more alfredo to this layer too
- Apply the final layer of lasagna noodles
- Top this layer off with a layer of alfredo sauce, shredded or sliced cheese, and chopped bits of bacon
- Put this abomination into the oven and let it cook for 40 minutes, then check on it. You may need to let it cook for another 20 if it's not done
This dish should turn out delicious. Get the good alfredo sauce, though, or make your own. The top should be a little crispy when it's complete, which should be awesome. I like to use the fancy mushroom ravioli, but you can use other types. If you so desire, you can cook and add some ground beef throughout the dish with the other ingredients. Add your presonal preference of spices as well, like garlic powder, salt, pepper. Use common cooking sense when applicable